Proclamation 5133 -- Implementation of the Caribbean Basin Economic Recovery Act
November 30, 1983 By the President of the United States
1. Sections 211 and 218 of the Caribbean Basin Economic Recovery Act (the CBERA) (19 U.S.C. 2701, 2706) confer authority upon the President to proclaim duty-free treatment for all eligible articles from any country which has been designated a ``beneficiary country'' in accordance with the provisions of section 212 of the CBERA. I am designating the countries and territories or successor political entities set forth in the Annex as ``beneficiary countries'' under section 212 of the CBERA. I have previously notified the House of Representatives and the Senate of my intention to make such designation, together with the considerations entering into my decision, pursuant to subsection 212(a)(1)(A) of the CBERA.
2. In order to implement the duty-free treatment provided in accordance with the provisions of the CBERA, it is necessary to modify the Tariff Schedules of the United States (TSUS) (19 U.S.C. 1202), thus incorporating the substance of relevant provisions of the CBERA, and of actions taken thereunder, into the TSUS, pursuant to section 604 of the Trade Act of 1974 (the Trade Act) (19 U.S.C. 2483).
Now, Therefore, I, Ronald Reagan, President of the United States of America, acting under the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the statutes of the United States, including but not limited to sections 211 and 218 of the CBERA and section 604 of the Trade Act, do proclaim that:
(1) The countries set forth in general headnote 3(g)(i) of the TSUS, as added by paragraph (2) of this Proclamation, are designated as beneficiary countries.
(2) A new general headnote 3(g) of the TSUS is hereby added as set forth in the Annex, and present general headnote 3(g) is redesignated as general headnote 3(h).
(3) A new headnote 4 to subpart A of part 10 of schedule 1 of the TSUS is hereby added as set forth in the Annex.
(4) The provisions of this Proclamation shall be effective with respect to all articles that are entered, or withdrawn from warehouse for consumption, on or after the effective date of this Proclamation and on or before September 30, 1995.
(5) This Proclamation shall be effective on January 1, 1984.
In Witness Whereof, I have hereunto set my hand this 30th day of Nov., in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and eighty-three, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and eighth.
[Filed with the Office of the Federal Register, 3:06 p.m., December 1, 1983]
Note: The annex to the proclamation is printed in the Federal Register of December 5, 1983.
The text of the proclamation was released by the Office of the Press Secretary on December 1.