December 29, 1981
By the President of the United States of America
1. I have determined, pursuant to section 124(a) of the Trade Act of 1974 (the Trade Act) (19 U.S.C. 2134(a)) that certain existing duties of the United States are unduly burdening and restricting the foreign trade of the United States and that one or more of the purposes of the Trade Act would be promoted by entering into the trade agreement with Japan identified in the third recital of this proclamation.
2. Sections 131(a), 132, 133, 134, 135, and 161(b) of the Trade Act (19 U.S.C. 2151(a), 2152, 2153, 2154, 2155, and 2211(b)) and section 4(c) of Executive Order No. 11846 of March 27, 1975 (3 CFR 1971 - 1975 Comp. 974) have been complied with.
3. Pursuant to Title I of the Trade Act (19 U.S.C. 2111 et seq.), I have, through my duly empowered representative, on September 30, 1981, entered into a trade agreement with Japan pursuant to which United States rates of duty on certain products would be modified as hereinafter proclaimed and as provided for in Annexes I and II to this proclamation, in exchange for certain measures which will benefit United States interests.
4. Pursuant to the Trade Act, I determine that the modifications or continuance of existing duties hereinafter proclaimed are required or appropriate to carry out the trade agreement identified in the third recital of this proclamation.
Now, Therefore, I, Ronald Reagan, President of the United States of America, acting under the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the statutes, including but not limited to sections 124 and 604 of the Trade Act (19 U.S.C. 2134 and 2483), do proclaim that:
(1) The TSUS is hereby modified as provided in Annex I to this proclamation;
(2) Annexes II and III to Presidential Proclamation 4707 of December 11, 1979, are amended as provided in Annex II to this proclamation;
(3) Annex IV of Proclamation 4707 of December 11, 1979, is superseded to the extent inconsistent with this proclamation.
(4) Whenever the column 1 rate of duty in the TSUS for any item specified in Annex I to this proclamation is reduced to the same level as, or to a lower level than, the corresponding rate of duty inserted in the column entitled ``LDDC'' by Annex I of this proclamation, the rate of duty in the column entitled ``LDDC'' for such item shall be deleted from the TSUS.
(5) Each of the modifications made by this proclamation shall be effective as to articles entered, or withdrawn from warehouse for consumption, on and after January 1, 1982.
In Witness Whereof, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-ninth day of December, in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and eighty-one, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and sixth.
[Filed with the Office of the Federal Register, 4:20 p.m., December 30, 1981]
Note: The text of the proclamation was released by the Office of the Press Secretary on December 30. Annexes I and II to the proclamation are printed in the Federal Register of January 4, 1982.